Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Pioneer children sang as they walked and walked and walked...

This post is a little late but it is the perfect week to honor the Pioneers! Working with the youth is a blast but definitely a new experience. I can now say that I have more respect and love for my parents and all of my leaders :). Burke and I were called as a Ma and Pa for the trek. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done but also one of the most spiritual. The Faith and motivation that the Pioneers had must have been incredible. They went through so much (Snow, Rain, Chilly Winds, Many Deaths of loved ones, etc.) but yet continued to keep going. We only had a small glimpse of what they went through and yet it was still very difficult.


Some of the things we experienced:
Martin's Cove


This is where the Martin company came to get out of the snowstorm because there was more room and trees to help cover them. Many Pioneers left loved ones behind in Martin's Cove

The Sweet Water
They had some statues near the Sweet Water which represented the four men who helped carry the women and children across the cold icy water. We were able to walk through the water, get carried, or push a hand cart to see what it must have been like.

The Women's Pull



This was probably the most touching part of the trek. The men were all called to become the Mormon Batallion and the women were left to push the carts by themselves. The hill that we pushed the carts up was very sandy and had a lot of rocks. My family only had three girls (including myself) and it was extremely difficult. It is amazing to watch the change in all the boys. They were able to stand on the side and watch us and afterward they told the girls that they didn't need to push the carts anymore (they were very cute). This experience helped me to realize how hard life would be without Burke and in a Modern sense it would be very hard to go through out life today with out him...he is the love of my life!!

There were two other couples in our ward that went with us, Bishop and his wife, Alicia & Aaron and Jenny Johnson. It was so much for to get to know them! They are such fun and loving people!!

The trek was a great experience and I am so grateful that I was able to do it with Burke!!

10 comments:

Jenna Marie said...

Sounds like such a fun experience. I was wondering when this was going to be... since you said a while ago that you were called as a "Ma and Pa". It was fun to see the pictures.

kate said...

Wow! I can't imagine being a ma and pa.. I had a hard enough time just being one of the kids.. I still have such great memories of my first trek, and that was over 11 years ago. :)

Angie and Kyle said...

What an amazing experience! Even looking and reading about your trip brought into perspective what an incredible feat it must have been to cross the plains. Thanks for sharing! Also I wanted to say hi :) - I came across your blog a little while ago and still hadn't officially said hello, hope you two are doing great!

Janae said...

You made me get tears in my eyes. It looked like you had a great time. You have an awesome husband

n & t said...

You are so brave! I don't think I would do what you did even if I got paid for it... I am glad you had a great time. I am excited for the robot movie!!!

jenniferhoiyin said...

e that we did twinner posts. Yes, we were sad you were out of town today, but it's okay, we'll play soon. I love that picture of Burke and Aaron by the river :)

Matt and Cori said...

Hey guys! Looks like your having a fun summer and had fun on your trek! Keep in touch!

~Ashley Dawn Photography~ said...

That is awesome! I have debated going.... I really should but I am kinda nervous. The last time Austin did this trek his Scout leader took him on a real crazy one in the mountains. Close to where the Donner Party was really at. Which would be a good thing to see what it was that they went through, but.. I am nervous none the less :)

That is very cool how you were able to do this and feel the spirit of it though.

Kyler and Hillary said...

this is so cool that you guys got to do this!! what a great thing to do and experience! and I just hope you to know that i was just givin you a hard time! we love you!!!!

jenniferhoiyin said...

Hey! We had fun last night, can't wait to see you guys later this week. :)